Thursday, February 26, 2015

Haitian Cuisine

For my research topic, I chose to learn more about Haitian cuisine. I was interested to learn that Spain, France, Africa, and the United States influenced much of the Haitian culture and food. Haitian cuisine is commonly described as simple, yet bold and spicy. Meals tend to consist primarily of vegetables, meats, rice, and cornmeal. The preferred meats include chicken, goat meat, and beef. It is also common for meals to be flavored with herbs, spices, and peppers. Because there were so many types of Haitian dishes, I decided to research some of the most popular ones. One of the more common dishes is just a simple meal of rice and beans (preferably black or pinto). Various kinds of stews are also common in Haiti. One of the most popular types of stews is bouillon, which is a thick stew made with sliced meat, potatoes, sliced plantains, yam, cabbage, and celery. Haitian patties are also common and seem to be very popular in the Haitian culture. A Haitian patty is made with beef, salted cod, smoked herring, chicken, and ground turkey, surrounded by a crispy or flaky crust. While looking up the different types of food in Haiti, I came across some fun facts that I thought were interesting and wanted to share them! I learned that the most important commercial crops are bananas, corn, rice, sorghum, beans, cocoa beans, and especially coffee and sugarcane. I also learned that BBQ originated in Haiti! The fact that seemed the most interesting to me is that spaghetti is often served as a breakfast dish and is cooked with hot dogs, dried herring, and spices (and served with ketchup and watercress). After learning about Haitian cuisine, I am excited to try new dishes and share my experiences with my group members!


 - Leanna

No comments:

Post a Comment